PLACES THAT NOT EVEN THE ROMANS KNOW
Lungotevere Farnesina, 2
Artwork of William Kentridge 550 meter-longe, 80 figures up to 10 meters high.
Via Caio Cestio, 6
Dates back at least to 1716. Known as the cemetery of artists and poets.
Via Antonio Gramsci, 74
The first japanese garden made in Italy by a japanese architect, Nakajima.
Via di Valle Murcia, 6
Is Home to over 1000 varieties of Wild Roses, ancient and modern.
Via Nicolò Piccolomini
The nearer you get, the further away St. Peter's dome seems to go.
Piazza Vittorio Emanuele II
Porta Alchemica, also said Porta Magica, Porta Ermetica o dei Cieli
Via Casilina, 895
A territory characterized by traditional living environments.
Triumphs and Laments represents the most ambitious project created by the artist William Kentridge until today, consisting of a 500 meter-long frieze, achieved through selective cleaning of biological patina from the travertine retaining walls along the Tiber.
Exploring dominant tensions in the history of the Eternal City, more than eighty figures up to ten meters high, celebrate the biggest victories and defeats from mythological times to present, forming a silhouetted procession on Piazza Tevere.google maps
Since the rules of Catholic Church prohibited to bury in consecrated ground non-Catholics as well as suicide victims, after death these were "expelled" by the Christian community and buried outside the city walls. The burials took place at night to avoid manifestations of religious fanaticism and to preserve the safety of those who attended the funeral rites.
Tall, centenarian Cypresses, green meadow surronding part of the graves, the white pyramid towering behind the fence of Roman walls, along with cats sunbathing and strolling unmolested among the in all languages of the world inscribed gravestones, give this small cemetery an inimitable style. As in Anglo-Saxon cemeteries, photographs on gravestones are absent.
The Japanese Institute of Culture in Rome has a famous garden that opens to the public only during certain periods of the year for free tours that are always sold out. In the garden, the first made in Italy by a Japanese architect, appear all the essentials and traditional styles of a sen'en garden (garden with a pond), and it has reached the present splendor perfectioning through Heian, Muromachi (16th-17th centuries) and Momoyama periods (late 17th century): the pond, the waterfall, rocks, small islands, the bridge and the stone lamp, tôrô.
The tsuridono veranda, extending over the pond is one of the best spots to enjoy the view of the garden. Among the present plants are: cherry, wisteria, irises and dwarf pines. The stones forming tha waterfall come from the tuscan countryside.
In spring at the foot of the Aventine, the gates of one of the most romantic gardens of Rome are opened.
In may, 1,100 species of roses bloom in a riot of colors and scents that make a place that for nature and position is already magical, even more valuable. From here you can enjoy a beatiful view of the Circus Maximus and Palatine forgetting the city traffic: Be careful, though, for obvious reasons of flowering, the Rose Garden is only open during spring months.
An Eco-museum (or diffused museum), which is very different from a normal museum, is a territory characterized by traditional living environments, natural and historical-artistic heritage, particularly relevant and worth of protection, restoration and enhancement.
The Eco-museum intervenes on the area of a community, in its historical development, proposing "as objects of the museum" not only the objects of everyday life but also the landscapes, architecture, know-how, the oral hisory tradition, etc.. The innovative scope of the concept has inevitably determined the knowledge far beyond the proper scope of a museum itself.
Via Piccolomini is located near the Hill of Gianicolo, in a elevated position compared to the rest of the city. It is perfectly straight, flat, about 300 meters long, and ends with an extraordinary belvedere of Rome, particularly, impressive at night. Drive your way to the dome trying keep about 15-20 km/h possibly in the middle of the road. While you do it, look at the dome, you will see it shrink before your eyes. The dome doesn't enlarge, as it should, but shrinks with a strikingly evident effect.
The Porta Alchemica, also referred to as a magic door, was the entrance of the esoteric laboratory of Massimiliano Palombara, Marquis of Pietraforte, known in Rome during the 17th Century for his passion for esoteric sciences and occult pratices.
The gate is located in today's Piazza Vittorio Emanuele in Rome.
There is a legend that revolves around the Marquis Palombara and his colleague Borri, a doctor Alchemist from Milan. According to legend, Borri focused his studies on the search of the philosopher's stone, which allowed him to turn lead into gold.
A FEW STEPS FROM THE APPARTAMENTO TURISTICO DI MARIA
10 minutes walk
Villa Borghese is a large park in the city of Rome.
5 minutes walk
The MACRO occupies part of ex complex of the Peroni Brewery.
1 minute walk
The market is housed in a umbertino style building in 1926.
2 minutes walk
It stands in front of Porta Pia, not far from the historic breach opened in the Aurelian walls on September 1870.
13 minutes walk
Marble and gilded bronze sculpture by Gian Lorenzo Bernini.
12 minutes walk
Unique in the world for sculture of Bernini and paintings by Caravaggio.
One of the most characteristic areas of the city.
The largest baths in Ancient Rome.
A museum that seems straight of a storybook.
The street of "Dolce Vita".
Villa Borghese is a large park in the city of Rome that includes different styles of gardens, from the italian one to large areas of English style, buildings, small edificies, fountains and ponds.
It is the third largest public park in Rome (around 80 acres) after Villa Doria Pamphilj and Villa Ada and extends itself mostly into Pinciano neighborhood and to a small extend into Ciampo Marzio, separated from the Aurelian walls.
10 minutes walk
The MACRO of via Nizza is situated in Rome's Salario-Nomentano neighborhood and occupies part of the complex that until 1971 the Società Birra Peroni (Peroni Brewery) used for its production activities. The structure was created by Gustavo Giovannoni and represents a rare example of industrial archaelogy.
When in 1974 the Brewery closed, the company elaborated togheter with tha municipality of Rome a recovey plan which in 1982, included part of its sale to the municipality itself, for the construction of public services for the neighborhood.
5 minutes walk
The covered market of Piazza Alessandria is housed in an Umbertino style building built in 1926 by Augusto D'Arcangeli, who among other things was the President of Rome's soccer team.
The brickwork building with beatiful wrought iron doors, is enriched outside with decorated pediments with the famous wolf suckling the twins Romulus and Remus and Sabine women heads holding baskets of fruit and vegetables.
1 minute walk
The monument to the Bersagliere stands in front of Porta Pia, not far from the historic breach openend in the Aurelian Walls on 20 September 1870.
It consists of an imposing 4 meter high bronze sculpture, depicting the Bersagliere springing to the attack, placed on a travertine base, work by I. Mancini. On the bigger sides of the same base are reliefs of stone from Trani, depicting characters and battles fought by bersaglieri soldiers: Ponte di Goito, Luciano Manara, Porta Pia (left); Sciara Sciat, Entico Toti, Riva Villasanta (right).
2 minutes walk
It is a marble and gilded bronze sculpture by Gian Lorenzo Bernini carved between 1647 and 1652, commissioned by cardinal Federico Cornaro and placed in the Church of Sanata Maria della Vittoria. Once completed Bernini was immensely pleased and with a certain modesty defined it as his "less bad work" (therebefore the best of his accomplishments). The body of the Saint appears completely unconscious, abandoned on a boulder in the shape of cloud, with the exquisite face, eyes narrowed towards the sky and lips open, while a smiling cherub holding a golden dart, offsets the garments of the Siant, ready to hit it into her heart.
13 minutes walk
The Galleria Borghese is located in Piazzale Scipione Borghese 5, within Villa Borghese in Rome. The museum exhibits works by Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Agnolo Bronzino, Antonio Canova, Caravaggio, Raffaello, Lorenzo Lotto, Antonello da Messina, Annibale Carracci, Pieter Paul Rubens, Tiziano. It can be considered unique in the world, regarding number and importance of the sculptures by Bernini and paintings by Caravaggio. It was established in 1902 following the acquisition by the Italian State of collections belonging to tha Borghese trust.
12 minutes walk
Once of the most characteristic areas of the city, built between 1913 and 1926, by the electic architect Gino Coppedè, hence its name. An unexpected and bizarre corner of Rome, a great mix of the Art Nouveau, Art Deco, with infiltrations of Greek, Gothic, Baroque and even Medioval Art. The square is surrounded by buildings of different shapes and sizes; the two most relevant buildings, with overabundantly and imaginary decorations, are: the Building of the Spider, Assyro-Babylonian-inspired, which is characterized by a large spider on the facade and the Fairies Cottage, characterized by its total asymmetry, with arches and medieval ornaments made merging different materials such as marble, brick, travertine, terracotta, glass.
15 minutes walk
The magnificient structure of the Terme di Diocleziano, the largest in Ancient Rome, was built between 298 and 306 ad. The building, in addition to traditional spaces with pools of various temperatures (calidarium, frigidarium, and tepidarium), included a Central Hall Basilica, an open-air swimming pol (natatio) anf many other lounges.
Part of perimeter is now occupied by the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli: in 1561 Pope Pius IV decided to trasform the baths in the basilica with an annexed convent, and entrusted the project to Michelangelo.
14 minutes walk
The museum of the Casina delle Civette is located in the Park of Villa Torlonia in Roma and is one of the hidden gems of the capital.
It is a museum that seems straight out of a storybook. Designed in 1840 by Guiseppe Jappelli commissioned by Prince Alessandro Torlonia, has an upscale appearance with porches, turrets and loggias.
Its decorations leave you speechless. There are coloured tiles and stained glasses depicting owls, fairies, swans, peacocks, but also ribbons, butterflies and roses.
It's exactly for the stained glass windows with two little owls that the building's name was changed, but in fact the bird is also recalled on other decorations and furniture commissioned by Prince Giovanni, lover of esoteric symbols.
17 minutes walk
The street became famous in the 50s and 60s, when the luxury hotels and fancy cafes were attended by celebrities all over the world looking for visibility and scandals. Federico Fellini sanctioned definitively the reputation of Via Veneto with its famous film "La Dolce Vita".
You can visit the Church of Santa Maria della Concezione that houses the old ossuary, the museum and the crypt of the Capuchin monastery.
The Museum is the new Centre for the conservation of historic and artistic heritage of the Capuchins of Roma and Lazio.
19 minutes walk